Tuesday 23 May 2017

[TRANS] Esquire - Chansung of 2PM Interview ( June 2017)

Man at His Best

Thoughts, Words, Dreams, and Chansung

image

Chansung thinks. And speaks accordingly. And now I have a dream, Chansung says.

Editor Min Youngjun (Min): Yesterday was the Election Day. I heard it was your second presidential election.
Hwang Chansung (Hwang): That’s right. And I voted for the same person both times.
Min: Don’t you make it too obvious who you voted for?
Hwang: I already tweeted about it as I was coming here for the photo shoot.
Min: Actually, it’s pretty rare to ask current idols about political issues. Somehow the question rolled off my tongue naturally because I know you tend to openly express your thoughts on politics or social issues on Twitter. But don’t you get uncomfortable yourself, when people ask you this?
Hwang: Not really. People my age, in their 20s, are a lot more indifferent to the society and the politics than you would think. I think it’s a problem that everyone should be interested in. Since it concerns me, I try to express my concern coherently through the SNS.
Min: Even if you are okay with it, there must be people around you who are worried about it.
Hwang: Quite a few are. My parents are worried, and so are some of fans. Because I immediately say something that feels right, but later on whatever I’ve said might turn out to be wrong. That’s why I make a statement after serious consideration.
image
Min: Ever since you studied at the Korea Arts High School, you majored in theatre and film. And even before you made your debut with 2PM, you appeared as an actor in the “High Kick through the Roof” series first.
Hwang: Indeed. Around 2 years earlier (than 2PM debut).
Min: Was your dream to be an actor, not a singer?
Hwang: To be honest, I didn’t have a dream. When they would ask us to write down our dreams, if someone next to me wrote “president,” I would write down “president,” too. It was like that (laughs).
Min: You could say you cheated on your dream. (laughs) Then how did you become a singer and a 2PM member?
Hwang: A hyung I know, who had joined the JYP Company, told me they would be holding a survival audition on SBS, and he asked if I intended to participate. That was the beginning. So I passed the preliminaries, but I got eliminated just after two episodes since the beginning of the show, and while I was going home, I got a call asking if I wanted to try becoming a trainee at JYPE, and I agreed to it. As I went through my training, I got to think that this job was interesting, too, and it just started out instinctively.
Min: Training must have been tough. Was it doable even though you weren’t too eager to succeed?
Hwang: To be honest, physically, there would be many other things a lot harder than this. However, mentally, if you do not have a character that supports you like a strong pillar, it’s really hard. I think that I happened to have that kind of mentality.
Min:  Didn’t you wonder why they offered you to become a trainee when you were eliminated after just 2 episodes?
Hwang: Back then, I wasn’t too curious. It was a rare chance, so I just snatched onto it. I think I might have made that decision because I was like that back then.
Min: Eventually, you debuted with 2PM, and you’ve had continuous activities, while also widening your territory as an actor. It was a choice that changed your life.
Hwang: That’s right. Before that, I did taekwondo, I was part of the kendo performance group for a short while, but I totally didn’t study. I didn’t experience a sense of crisis that would have made me think I had to study. But even so I think I was good-natured. Because I didn’t sleep right in front of my teachers at school (laughs). If I would wake up after being sleepy for a while, I would try and focus. After I got out of school, I haven’t studied at all.
Min: We might also say that the offer to become a trainee could’ve been your first motivational push in life.
Hwang: Indeed. My mother had also worried how I would make a living. She was never oppressive, but she would say I did well, if I studied. But when I said I would become a trainee, she told me to try out everything.
image
Min: Queen for Seven days is your first historical drama.
Hwang: I didn’t look for an acting teacher for three years. Because I wanted to try it out by myself somehow. But when I looked at the script, I couldn’t come up with anything. When you look at the text alone, it seems like the breathing manner is different, too. I couldn’t distinctly grasp the character’s tone or feeling that the director wanted, so I eventually sought out an acting instructor. Now, I think, I caught a few strings I can hold onto. Thanks to my teacher, I am practising step by step.
Min: Have you ever been told that your acting is good for an idol?
Hwang: Oh yes. But, to be honest, that kind of thinking is quite natural. It would be weird to say you’re “looking forward” to some sort of an idol actor (laughs). From my point of view, I just have to work hard and hope they would comment when they see the result.
Min: Are you good at taking on malicious comments?
Hwang: When you are active as an idol, you naturally end up getting cursed at lot, so I have some sort of training. On one hand, when you change the point of view, you understand it. When people go through a lot of frustrating situations, they gather a lot of unreleased energy, and since they cannot unleash it unto their family or friends, I think they might end up shooting those arrows at celebrities. Of course, even if I think like that, there are times when I get very angry because of excessive comments, but for the most part, I just think “Ah, something got them really angry, perhaps.”
Min: Even so, you seem to be the type who feels satisfied when you say the things you want to say.
Hwang: In reality, if I get really angry, I don’t speak at all. Because I think that if I open my mouth, I would end up saying things that cannot be contained (laughs). Even when I tweet, I do it already after my anger has subsided and after I have rearranged my thoughts. If I think that there is something I have to say, I do it. If I feel that someone might not have come to their senses, I could also lay out things out in the open, so that they would get it together.
Min: You’re appearing on a stage play in June, too.
Hwang: It’s a premiere of a play “My Love My Bride” directed by Lee Myeongse. Little by little, as we keep on practising, things are settling into their shapes. Now all that is left to do is memorise my lines.
Min: Aren’t you scared? That you might possibly forget your lines?
Hwang: I usually don’t worry about such things. I’m just curious about the venue atmosphere. They say it’s breathtaking if the actors and the audience are on the same wavelength, so I’m looking forward to it.
image
Min: Was it really necessary to try out play acting, too? If you’re good at it, it’s a matter of principle, if you’re not, you’ll get more negative comments.
Hwang: I don’t think that I wouldn’t be able to do that. I’m optimistic to an odd extent, so I’m actually looking forward to see how much fun it is. I’ve always wanted to try out stage acting, too, but it was hard because of my schedule. So I’m doing this now, because I finally can.
Min: Does the number of things you want to try out grow?
Hwang: Perhaps? There are still many roles I haven’t tried. Senior actors keep on saying “One of these days, your own thing will come to you.” I don’t know when that happens, but right now if I think that something might be interesting, I want to try it no matter what.
Min: Do you now have aspirations as an actor?
Hwang: Rather than an aspiration, shall I say it’s a dream? Perhaps it’s a bit too late to call something my dream, but even as I grow older, I want to keep on working like this. I have to constantly find myself, but the more I try to, the more I realise it won’t be easy.
Min: Perhaps you want to encompass them all, as well as 2PM’s Chansung and actor Hwang Chansung?
Hwang: Indeed. I might be too greedy.
Min: But even the president you voted for the first time, eventually got elected when you voted for him the second time.
Hwang: If you keep on fishing, you might eventually catch something. (laughs)

ScansGo!Chansung
Kor-EngEgle0702

Source:  http://egle0702.tumblr.com/post/160957788255/trans-esquire-june-2017-chansung-interview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please give your comments

[TRANS] Esquire - Chansung of 2PM Interview ( June 2017)

Man at His Best Thoughts, Words, Dreams, and Chansung Chansung thinks. And speaks accordingly. And now I have a dream, Chansung says. ...